Today at 11 am, after about three hours of prep work, I picked up the can of paint – a gallon, half full – and started walking towards the paint tray. I tripped. The paint splattered my bed the walls the phone the answering machine various pieces of furniture a stunning piece of amethyst and drenched a sarong I had bought in Indonesia and my newly installed bamboo floor. It took one and a half hours to clean everything up, and one sheet and possibly the answering machine suffered a premature death.
I know someone will tell me that in the larger scheme of things this was trivial. But in my Shirley Valentine-sized life it took on greater significance. I know someone will tell me it could have been worse. It could have. I could have slipped in the paint, fallen down the stairwell (which for the past month has been without any sort of guardrail) and possibly suffered a premature death, or met the dire fate a friend keeps warning me about whereby someone she knows fell off his deck because it didn’t have a railing and is now a paraplegic. An asteroid could have hit the house. I know someone will tell me a story about paint that will make mine seem laughable. But you someones, and you know who you are, don't you dare. At the moment, even though it's of no use, I want to cry over spilt paint.
Go to these ones too
Friday, September 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
One time...
No, I won't. This is bad. I would have cried.
I have no paint stories. And I definitely would have cried. That sucks.
I'm practically crying now. It hurts to think about it. I'm very sorry.
You wouldn't have tripped if you hadn't been wearing those stupid uggs.
So, you think uggs are appropriately named then?
I told you it wouldn't last, didn't I?
Oh man -- that really sucks.
Post a Comment