Thursday, November 10, 2011

Work woes, forgotten birthdays and mandatory menopause seminars

The other day was a difficult one for me. It actually started the night before, when I checked my work email around 8 pm – yes, a bad decision, and something that has become a bad habit. In essence, the email enlightened me as to the basic nature of what I thought was a reasonably good working relationship with one employer (I have two jobs). Even worse, the fallout would cross over into my other job and make it appear as though the coworker who, according to Deloney, the Buddha would off in an instant with an icepick, is actually more like the Buddha and I, the inept Clouseau. Unable to sleep much of the night, I spent hours composing a resignation letter in my head.

The next day I did go to work, stayed for a couple of hours, composed resignation letters to both employers, spewed some emotional vomit in the presence of coworkers, didn't send the resignation letters but did send a terse email saying something unexpected had come up and I had to leave, and left.

I took a circuitous route home and went down to Lake Ontario. I sat for about an hour, not doing much except trying not to cry, then started walking. I passed through a waterfront park where families and friends plant trees in honour of those who have died. The majority of those others seemed to be people in their teens or twenties, which of course made me think about how short life is and also, to paraphrase Shirley Valentine's words, what a little life I've led. Then I headed home.

When I got to my house there was a large bag hanging from the mailbox. Inside was a box on which two of my coworkers had written: “We suck. We totally forgot. Happy Birthday.” Inside were six cupcakes from the new cupcakery downtown, as well as two chocolate bars from the relatively new chocolatier beside the totally new cupcakery.

Digression re forgotten birthday: Shortly before my birthday, which was about three weeks ago, two of my coworkers called me into their office for a secret consult on what kind of cake we should get for our boss to celebrate National Boss Day. With a smirk, I rattled off a few of my favourite types. When I walked into the National Boss Day celebration, I expected everyone to yell “Happy Birthday!” When that didn't happen, I thought they were attempting to prolong the charade and delay the element of surprise. By the end of what I had thought of as the “National Boss Day celebration” (in quotation marks), there were still no birthday wishes. To my surprise, it actually was a National Boss Day celebration (no quotation marks), somewhat ironic given what prompted me to write this post.

Still digressing into forgotten birthday: It's not like there weren't subtle hints that my birthday was imminent. Subtle hint #1: Shortly before the actual day, I brought in a card that a friend had given me. That friend knows how much I like charades, and had found a card with a cartoon showing the back of a man, pants down, holding a large anvil over his head, ready to swing it down in front of him. Five other cartoonish people are watching, expressions serious, rubbing chins. The caption reads, Despite Eric's best efforts, on one guessed 'Bangkok'. And on the inside, Have a bang-up time on your birthday.“Look at this card,” I said to my coworkers, who all did and had a good laugh. Subtle hint #2: “What are you doing for the weekend?” my coworkers asked, the Friday before the weekend of my actual birthday. “I'm going to a yoga retreat. Some of the women from the Italy trip are going to be there.” Last year a friend and I rented a villa in Italy to celebrate our 50th birthdays. Everyone at work knows this; I made sure of it. Subtle hint #3: “Look what someone gave me,” I told my coworkers when I got back to work on Monday, passing around a book called Porn for Women. It contains photos of super-sexy men holding, for example, a piece of cake, with a voice bubble that reads, Have another piece of cake. I don't like you looking so thin. Or one with a huge smile on his face, accompanied by the words, I know. Let's take you shoe shopping! Or the triptych, the favourite of the gift-giver, which started off with, Foreplay. 10:12 p.m. Next scene: Foreplay. 10:50 p.m. Final scene: Foreplay. 1:30 a.m. My coworkers passed the book around and had a good laugh. Who ever buys a book like that for themselves? It's a quintessential birthday gift. Apparently, even the most blatant hints are ineffective with my coworkers. Perhaps, when I presented the card, I should have added, “In Western liberal democracies such as ours, cards like this are often given to celebrate citizens' births. Even amidst the cost-cutting measures of the current government and global economic retrenchment, families, friends and coworkers will often present cards such as this one on the anniversary of a person's birth to support local retail initiatives.”

Final digression into forgotten birthday: I attended a mandatory menopause seminar at work this week. Somewhat surprisingly, instead of the expected curmudgeon of women fanning themselves, there was lots of vegetarian sushi, a salad, a cake, and some contrite coworkers. I mentioned all the birthday hints they had missed and we had a good laugh. During Pictionary we realized that, in addition to failing memories, some of us are starting to experience vision and hearing loss -- that round thing was meant to depict a ball, not bald -- and were reassured by the fact that we are all in this together.

Back to the story that I was telling before forgotten birthday digressions: After recovering from a cupcake-induced coma, I spent the afternoon exploring the financial ramifications of leaving work. I wouldn't qualify for Employment Insurance, even though I've paid mega-amounts into it. One has to be fired, or be able to prove “just cause” for quitting, to be eligible. I asked someone at Service Canada if receiving seven pounds of cupcakes and chocolate from coworkers constitutes a workplace-related threat to my health; she said no. I found out that I'm not eligible for social assistance either: I would have to sell all my assets – basically, my house – and run myself into abject poverty before I would qualify. I don't have the three-month “emergency fund” planners recommend for situations such as this. To sum up, I can't afford to leave work unless I'm fired.

I had plans to go to movie with a friend that night. I didn't know what we were going to see, but he said it was supposed to be very good. Unfortunately, I discovered once the movie started that some of it takes place during WWII; I avoid such movies like the plague (I've never seen Schindler's List, for example, and it's not because I was making out with someone in the theatre like on Seinfeld). About 20 minutes into the movie, during a scene where French guards were ripping children away from their parents, I whispered to my friend “I can't stay,” and left. That's the first time I've ever walked out before a movie ended.

I'm ever so grateful for forgotten birthdays and mandatory menopause seminars, which make this sometimes bleak world bearable.

14 comments:

Sabine said...

5:39? Why were you up so early? Hot flash?

Sabine said...

Chocolate craving?

Mali said...

I wish I knew what to say (other than I'm sure Deloney could moonlight as an assassin with an icepick). I can however relate to job problems, and to forgotten birthdays (I have a friend who has forgotten my birthday about 12 times out of the last 15, despite subtle birthday hints along the lines of yours!).

I'm intrigued though - you were sent on a mandatory menopause seminar? Really? And what does one do on a mandatory menopause seminar?

Helen said...

mm: I was contemplating the mysterious nature of Greenwich mean time and time zones...

Mali: One celebrates one's previously forgotten birthday at a mandatory menopause seminar! Although it certainly sounds as plausible an event as National Boss Day.

Deloney said...

Poor thing. Would you like a foot massage?

Indigo Bunting said...

Shit! I forgot your birthday! It's near the end of October, isn't? Maybe, like, the 27th? Or is it the 20th? All you October blog babies...my memory is heading toward menopause. Time for a cupcake.

Thank you for writing. I miss you. And I somehow feel more human and OK when you relate your humanity so eloquently...

Bridgett said...

This is a lot of suckiness well written and compelling to me. I've written those non-delivered resignation letters. I've had those feelings of impending doom. But the forgotten birthday/national boss day is the worst. I can see the coworkers as they come to realize the subtle hints, the cards in their faces, the cake flavors, and the music crashing with each flash of realization. Sorry. What day is yours? Like IB, I cannot keep all this straight. I'm the 23rd...

Helen said...

My birthday is Oct. 22, but I don't expect anyone to remember that (a good thing obviously!) since I'm so forgetful of others' birthdays.

Deloney: Yes.

Deloney said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mali said...

Clearly, when we have our bloggers meeting, it has to be in October to celebrate our birthdays. Maybe Oct 2013?

Helen said...

In Barcelona?

Cedarwaxwing said...

I hope things work out with your job and I hope your friends remember your birthday next year. That day has significance to me, so maybe I will remember.

Of course if you were on Facebook you could have 127 strangers saying happy birthday on your wall on your birthday.

Ok, October 2013, Barcelona. Going on my calendar.

(word verification: insin)

Jan said...

What a terrible series of events! It reminds me of the year my husband suddenly decided my birth date was not the one on my birth certificate!

I don't have a blog, but I read all of yours and correspond with some of you occasionally. AND... I share a birthday with Bridgett. (So it should be easy to remember October 22, I hope!) Can I join the party in Barcelona?

Helen said...

Definitely!