Occasionally I do spot the flaw in an argument however. This happened the other day, when the Ontario Minister of something-or-other explained, following a Rick Mercer report on the Zenn car – which as far as I know is the only Canadian-made car, and an electric car to boot – that the reason the Zenn car can’t be sold in Ontario is that “it’s not safe to mix high- and low-speed vehicles on the road.” I started scratching my head when I heard this, and now I have a burgeoning bald spot. Never mind that the car can be sold in the U.S. The reason I find the Ontario Minister of something-or-other’s statement so illogical is that I am told I can’t ride my bike on the sidewalk; I have to ride it on the road and be part of normal traffic flow. I went to the Zenn website and checked the car’s specifications. Its top speed is 25 mph (which they don’t bother translating into kilometers because what’s the point? They can’t sell the car to kilometer-savvy Canadians). OK, it’s not fast. But neither am I on my bike, especially since I never oil the chain and the tires are seldom properly inflated. Here’s another bit of illogicality on the part of the Ontario government. You can’t drive a car until you’re 16, but you can buy one when you’re 14 (as long as it’s not a Zenn car). Do you save up your allowance, buy a car, and ask your mom to drive it home for you? That law does, however, harmonize with the federal government’s law regarding the age of sexual consent, which is also 14. So I guess maybe a car could come in handy, even if you can’t drive it. You can have legal sex in the back seat of your legally owned car when you’re 14, and what can your parents do about it?
To get into law, medical or graduate school you have to write an exam that has a logic component. When you apply for a government job you must have to write the same type of exam, but instead of going after the high scorers, the government must recruit the people who score the lowest on the logic section. Bonus points if, when asked why you want to work in the civil service, you reply that it has been a dream of yours ever since you read Nineteen Eighty-Four. More bonus points if you don’t see any contradiction in a signatory nation to the Geneva Conventions using “enhanced interrogation techniques,” and still more bonus points if you can craft euphemisms like “enhanced interrogation techniques.” And you’re definitely hired if you can write passages like the following, which help prevent anyone from discerning the illogicalities in your government’s policies.
The move from a structuralist account in which capital is understood to structure social relations in relatively homologous ways to a view of hegemony in which power relations are subject to repetition, convergence, and rearticulation brought the question of temporality into the thinking of structure, and marked a shift from a form of Althusserian theory that takes structural totalities as theoretical objects to one in which the insights into the contingent possibility of structure inaugurate a renewed conception of hegemony as bound up with the contingent sites and strategies of the rearticulation of power.*
* Judith Butler, professor of rhetoric and comparative literature, University of California 1997. This won first prize in the world’s worst writing contest.
15 comments:
Go immediately to sewa's blog and read about the surfer dude!
Is he an illogical government worker when he's not surfing?
I'd rather be a surfer dude than a lawyer any day.
I've been trying to think of something wild (according to my definition) to do for my 50th birthday. One of the things I'm considering is a "wild women surfing course" offered in Tofino. (Another idea, which I have since abandonned because I have a deathly fear of heights - to the point of being unable to admire the Danforth from a fire escape - was to go rock climbing at Yosemite, and spend the night in a hammock suspended from the cliff face.)
Remind me where you were for those nine years. I know you've mentioned it before but I forget. It wasn't jail, was it?
Would that be a problem? It's another reason I decided not to go to law school; they frown on convicted felons entering the legal system from a route other than the usual one.
Actually, I was in Southeast Asia (travelling), Australia (travelling and working), New Zealand (ditto) and Japan (ditto).
Did you work on the lesbian banana farm in New Zealand? My friend Lynne did. I wrote about her on my old 365 blog.
Umm, no. Although the idea of a lesbian banana farm makes me giggle. Umm, what would be the gay male equivalent?
Zucchini?
I'm a bit late to this and hate to divert the discussion from bananas and zucchini, but I do love the way you moved this post through thoughts of becoming a lawyer, to a car to the age of consent (14?? REALLY??) through to bureaucratic gobbledegook!
Bravo!
PS Ditch the Yosemite idea but the wild women surfing sounds great fun for a 50th. Now I'm kinda sad I have to wait for 5 more years !
PPS. Where did you work/travel in NZ? And just to report, NZ will have changed a LOT since you were here last. You could do your 50th adventure here - white water rafting, bunjy jumping, tramping (hiking)/climbing, paragliding etc etc then a birthday celebration with good wine and food to recover!
Hi Mali:
I still have to wait 3 years for my 50th, but it's fun planning.
I was in NZ almost 25 years ago, so things are a bit vague. We seemed to be all over the place; we definitely went to both islands. We picked kiwi fruit (I know, how predictable) on the South Island. Our fellow fruit pickers were an odd and endearing bunch: a guy from the Isle of Mann who claimed he sold tea towels there, but had to flee the island for reasons unspecified; a Dutch guy who hit a rabbit on his way home from work one day and served rabbit stew for dinner; and Wade, who said he had been filming a documentary on Papua New Guinea and had met headhunters who, seeing the size of him, had proclaimed him a great white god (presumably this honour allowed him to keep his head). After leaving our fruit-picking job we seemed to spend lots of time in trailers which had been plopped in the midst of some spectacular vista or another, reading junky books. I think it rained a lot.
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I believe that this isn't the first time the word hegemony has appeared in your blog.
Ah, that's mm who had the hegemony issues.
world's worst? surely not......personally I found the age of consent a mocking irony at the time and thank god it wasn't 14: that would have really been rubbing it in.
Helen: Hegemonous apologies.
Post a Comment