I was on my way to Ottawa Friday night and pulled off the highway at Kemptville to get some gas. To my bewilderment and dismay I spotted a traffic circle at the approaching intersection. The only other one I've seen in Canada is in Dorval, where I grew up. Traffic circles and Québec drivers make for a frightening combination, perhaps explaining my phobia about both of them. I once heard that the difference between a fugue and a canon is that a fugue is difficult to get into and easy to get out of, whereas a canon is easy to get into and difficult to get out of. Or it may be the other way around; I know very little about music. Regardless, traffic circles combine the worst attributes of fugues and canons. They are difficult to get into and difficult to get out of. Few drivers seemed to know what to do at the Kemptville traffic circle. I think the town needs to hook up two loudspeakers and blast a fugue out of one and a canon out of the other, just to add to the confusion.
I often ponder how I should celebrate my landmark birthdays, when I turn 50, 60, 70 and 80 (at age 80 I'm going to stop wearing a seatbelt, start practicing unsafe sex and take up smoking, to ensure I don't make it to 90). Friday night I figured out what to do on my 80th birthday: I'm going to rent a car in Paris and try to navigate the traffic circle around the Arc de Triomphe, whilst eating a pain au chocolat and drinking a bowl of café au lait. It will be a spectacular success or a crashing failure. Memorable either way.
On a completely different note, interest is waning, the weeds are waxing, and I don't know what the moon is up to — perhaps illuminating Amy Winehouse collapsed over Deloney's lap, an idiotic grin on her face and a look of half bliss, half frustration on his. Time for a break. If you see a woman with lumpy hair lurking in your blogs it's probably me. Or maybe it's Jody. Or possibly Deb.
À bientôt mes amis...
Go to these ones too
Monday, June 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
I had managed to keep that image at bay. Thanks a lot.
Taking a break from your blog is fine and dandy if that's what you feel like, but I hope you'll still comment on other people's blogs sometimes.
Oh, I'll be constantly lurking... and no doubt commenting...
Helen! How will I cope if you're not posting regularly?
Traffic circles - or as we know them roundabouts - are particularly fiendish for those of who drive on the left hand side of the road when we travel to upside down countries driving on the wrong side. You have to navigate these circles anti-clockwise. You'd love that.
Maybe I'll try one of those on my 70th birthday Mali!
Oh no. Helen is taking a break again. I will try to survive this one. But you know, it's hard on us.
OK Helen. It's September now. Break over!
.
...
..
please?????
I'm having difficulty summoning up any creative or other type of energy...
Post a Comment