We need to leave early if we want a seat she tells her daughter Malka, a Russian nesting doll deep within her clothes who waddles and complains. Picking up a suitcase crammed with photographs jewelry lace she tucks some bread inside her coat and asks Malka to wait outside. Opening a window she unlatches the door of Anton’s cage, watches as he flutters between everyday life and the unknown then sets off to perch on a neighbouring roof. She has told Malka that someone will feed Anton but there will be no one, they have all been ordered to leave. Anton will not survive the winter’s cold but she does not want him singing his swan song to an empty room.
Outside families move in one direction, migrating birds that call to one another yet stay in formation, knowing they must leave before it is too late. Funnelled through gates they are caught in a corridor filled with laughter kicks punches. Malka grows smaller and smaller as each layer is removed until she is naked, crying. Malka quiet please be quiet please. They pick her daughter up and like children playing swing her to and fro then heave her through the air. She soars briefly thin arms and legs flailing – a young bird trying its best to stay aloft – then drops from view.
At the edge of the ravine now she looks into the black holes of machine gun barrels, eyes of her executioners. It is time to let go of thoughts of trains, of your child’s cries
and fly.
Go to these ones too
Thursday, June 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Oh Helen. I have goosebumps all over my body.
Helen, what is this? It makes me feel light and want to curl up next to my child sleeping.
Jesus wept, Helen, where did that come from? All too imaginable, all too true.
I was reading a fiction book some years ago and part of the story took place at Babi Yar. I assumed it was a fictional place/event, but when I looked it up I discovered it wasn't. The details were so chilling I could never manage to forget them, so I wrote this.
I googled Babi Yar and read about it. Holy shit...
I'll have to read about it, too. But not right now. Not so soon.
Shivers. (In the midst of a heat wave.)
And how did I miss this post? I swear I've checked between the 5th and today...
Post a Comment