Sunday, January 20, 2008

The End

Life doesn't always go on. Many of us don't like thinking about that, to the point that we even avoid mentioning death directly, preferring euphemisms like “passed away”, “kicked the bucket”, or “went to the undying land.” Buddhists, on the other hand, seem to think about death a lot. This is so that when it does come, they won't be flustered and spend their last moments wringing their hands instead of waving goodbye. The Buddhist practice of meditating on death is sort of similar to what Inspector Clouseau was doing by having Kato jump him at unexpected times, so that he would be prepared when a real assassin attacked. And just like Kato, death can come charging when you're about to kiss Maria Gambrelli by the fountain. It can accompany the Japanese waitress as she brings you a fortune cookie. It can swoop down from the chandelier, or sneak up on you as you're fumbling around in your leopard-skin bed, bubbles and Come to Me swirling through the air. It can strike as you're starting up the car after a morning spent Christmas shopping, leaving others bewildered at so many things, including the intended recipients of the contents of all the bags and boxes in the back of the car.

If you don't want to think about death too much, the next best thing is to eat, drink and be merry, for when death knocks at the door tomorrow (or, if it's running late, barges in) at least you won't leave this world feeling like a dissatisfied customer. You won't whine and try and get your money back from the being ferrying you across the waters. Their job is probably stressful enough, what with passengers soon to realize they've been Eric the Redded: they're not going to greener, undying pastures, but to a land of icy death.

Understandably, death usually brings sadness. It doesn't really have a good sense of humour. Not someone I would want to spend a lot of time with. But one day I won't have a choice in the matter. So I want something comical to mark my ending, like the parking meter with “Time expired” on it that some nephew got for his aunt's grave. To make it easier for me, and others, to laugh in the face of death.

11 comments:

Indigo Bunting said...

My friend, I may have to start printing out your blog for safekeeping. For others to find when I'm gone.

Sabine said...

Just the other day death approached me in my leopard-skin bed. I said, "Death - screw off, I'm busy here."

Seriously, your post seems a bit macabre. Have you been getting enough meat in your diet?

Helen said...

I had a large quantity of fakin' bacon on a ceasar salad yesterday. Does that count?

Mali said...

Helen, I think that was fantastic! I've just spent the last hour or two watching Ed Hillary's state funeral, and thinking about death. If thinking about it can convince me to grab life with both hands, like he did, then I'll be happy whenever death decides to take me.

Deloney said...

My friend Steve is a Buddhist and he goes to a temple weekly. A beautiful guy and I've known him since the punk days. But we disagree about things we never talk about anymore, but that's ok.

I'm a Celt and I believe in the Otherworld. Seriously. To the hilt.

Helen said...

Indigo and Mali, many thanks. MM, I will try to increase my pseudo-meat consumption. And Deloney, although I don't believe in other worlds, I must admit I did some shamanic journeying that was led by a Celtic shaman and despite my skepticism, I did go somewhere...

Deloney said...

You mean the mall?

Helen said...

Not exactly. A Starbucks run by druids.

Indigo Bunting said...

Helen: You really need to watch it when druids get caffed up. Anything can happen.

Helen said...

I'm hoping...

Sabine said...

LOL