... can it be so? Café culture in France is dying? Apparently fewer and fewer citoyens are going to cafés because smoking in public places has been banned and drunk driving laws are becoming stricter. While I don’t support the repealing of either of these measures, trying to save France’s cafés is a cause I could embrace (and kiss on both cheeks). It’s not just because I love coffee and have dreams of spending hours at the cafés in Montmartre trolling for potential piscine boys and equally delectable patisserie. It’s because I’m beginning to feel that one day nobody will go out anymore. We do our banking and pay our bills from home (I approve). We socialize without ever meeting other people face to face (I approve, particularly on bad hair days (= most days)). We shop from home (I conditionally approve). We buy big screen TVs (I approve) and no longer go to movie theatres (I disapprove). We tend virtual garden plots (I DISAPPROVE) and keep our fingernails clean (I approve).We create gods of tv personalities (I disapprove) and abandon places of worship (I abstain from approving or disapproving). We buy Krups Dolce Gusto coffee makers (I approve) and the local café closes (I disapprove).
I realize that that last sentence bears no logical relation to the opening lines of the paragraph. I'm not even sure that the last part of that sentence bears any logical relation to the first part of it. I probably need some caffeine. Do I have a Krups Dolce Gusto coffee maker? Sadly, no. Am I going to go and sit in a cafe somewhere? Mais non. I'm going to pull out my French press.
Go to these ones too
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Et maintenant, I'm going out to my local cafe for coffee, because I just noticed that another local one has closed down, and I'll perish if this one does too.
I was at my local one this morning. Since becoming psychologically dependent on coffee, I have outlasted two local cafes. The one I'm at now is also a gelateria so there's more hope (diversification!).
Move to Melbourne: a cafe opens up about every five minutes, and people are nuts about going to them: I don't know about piscine boys though.....how about a pale skinny gen Y arty boy?
I wish there were cafes on Route 153. On the other hand, when do I have time to hang out in them? Mon dieu...
I do so love my French press.
And I don't know how you sneak these posts in without my knowing.
Let's all meet at a Paris cafe (I approve).
The same thing is happening to the pubs in Britain, at least in part because of the smoking ban.
I'm tired of pale skinny gen Y arty boys. The city seems full of them.
Post a Comment